Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton reunite on new duet
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Three decades after their unforgettable team up on "Islands in the Stream," Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton have a new duet out on Rogers' latest album.
The title song from "You Can't Make Old Friends" shows once again the special chemistry he and Parton have. But Rogers says it stops there.
"Working with Dolly is a great rush for me because we are good friends and we have been forever," Rogers said. "People always thought we were having an affair and we didn't want to ruin it because if we'd had an affair, we'd lose that spark. We just flirted a lot."
Not even one stolen kiss?
"I can't explain it but flirting is more electric than passion, it's the anticipation," Rogers said. "She does it better than anybody I've ever seen, and it's just fun. It's fun to be in the room with her."
Rogers asked songwriter Don Schlitz, who wrote "The Gambler," to come up with a song he could do with Parton that defined their relationship, and "Old Friends" was the result. There was no such premeditated planning for "Islands in the Stream." The song, written by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees, would eventually become a No. 1 hit on both the pop and country charts. But Rogers admits struggling with it before Parton entered the studio.
"I sang it for four days without her and I said, `I don't even like this song anymore,'" Rogers said. "So my manager had just run into Dolly and he brought her in, and in 40 minutes it just took on a whole different personality."
The release this week of the new album kicks off an eventful month for the 75-year-old Rogers. He'll be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on Oct. 27.
"I'm in a wonderful place in my life," Rogers said. "I've been married 16 years, been together for 21. I have two boys that are 9 years old that are just wonderful, and I'm still allowed to chase my dream a bit. What more do you need?"
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.