Four UA football players arrested after brawl
According to the DailyWildcat.com police reports indicate the sophomores, cornerback Jourdon Grandon, offensive tackle Fabbians Ebbele and offensive lineman Eric Bender were arrested on charges of criminal trespassing in the first degree and assault, while safety Jared Tevis was booked on trespassing charges.
Trouble allegedly started when Tevis, the only football player who had been invited to the party, and his teammates were asked to leave and a fight ensued. The players left after the brawl but later returned in a larger group, believed to be between 10 and 30 people.
Another, more violent physical tussle resulted in the assault of many male guests at the party with some female patrons getting caught in the crossfire. Witnesses reportedly recalled Grandon punching a woman in the face with a closed fist before wailing on other women at the gathering. While Tevis was present during the fight, he wasn't accused of assaulting anyone.
University of Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne released a statement following these troubling allegations.
"We are taking this matter seriously," Byrne said. "We are cooperating fully with the Tucson Police Department, and disciplinary action will be handled accordingly. Due to federal student-privacy laws we will have no further comment."
The players deny any involvement in the brawl, saying they left when the fight began.
It is believed two residents of the home are looking to press charges, but no action has taken place at this time.
Ebbele started 11 games for Arizona last season and was named a freshman All-American by The Sporting News and Grandon had 36 tackles and an interception for 41 yards in 2011. Both were expected to start for the Wildcats under new head coach Rich Rodriguez next season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a