Rihanna sends $5K check to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) - Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald ( http://bit.ly/16qicTm) that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician's March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago's northwestern suburbs after the school won her "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school's volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school's spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.