Rihanna sends $5K check to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) - Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald ( http://bit.ly/16qicTm) that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician's March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago's northwestern suburbs after the school won her "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school's volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school's spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.