Rihanna sends $5K check to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) - Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald ( http://bit.ly/16qicTm) that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician's March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago's northwestern suburbs after the school won her "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school's volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school's spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.