Rihanna sends $5K check to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) - Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald ( http://bit.ly/16qicTm) that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician's March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago's northwestern suburbs after the school won her "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school's volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school's spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.