Rihanna sends $5K check to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) - Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald ( http://bit.ly/16qicTm) that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician's March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago's northwestern suburbs after the school won her "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school's volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school's spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.