Ray Davies, Donovan part of Songwriters Hall class
NEW YORK (AP) - Ray Davies and Donovan are among the 2014 class of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
The organization announced Tuesday that "Midnight Train to Georgia" writer Jim Weatherly and English songwriter Graham Gouldman also made the cut. Mark James, the writer of "Always on My Mind"- covered by Elvis Presley and Willie Nelson- rounds out the list of five inductees.
The new class beat out top acts that were also up for nomination, including Madonna, John Mellencamp, Sade, Nile Rodgers and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.
Davies, the Kinks leader singer and chief songwriter, penned the band's hits "You Really Got Me," "Tired of Waiting for You" and "All Day and All of the Night." He has also written for Van Halen and the Pretenders.
Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan's hits include "Sunshine Superman," "Mellow Yellow" and "Atlantis." Donovan has collaborated with Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ronnie Wood and Jeff Beck.
Both the Kinks and Donovan have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The 45th annual Songwriters Hall of Fame gala will be held June 12 at the New York Marriott Marquis.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.