Mavis Staples to perform at Newport Folk Festival
NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) - The Newport Folk Festival says gospel singer Mavis Staples will perform in this year's line-up.
Staples is the first act to be announced for the 2014 festival, which will be held from July 25 to July 27. The festival says special guests will honor her birthday and "75 Years of Mavis" throughout the weekend.
Founder George Wein (WEEN') says Monday it's a joy to honor Staples. He says her family's band, The Staple Singers, was one of the first gospel groups to play at Newport and that they have appeared at both the folk and jazz festivals over the years.
The festival was first held in 1959 and has featured influential musicians like Joan Baez, Pete Seeger and Johnny Cash.
Other musical acts will be announced later.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.