Mavis Staples to perform at Newport Folk Festival
NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) - The Newport Folk Festival says gospel singer Mavis Staples will perform in this year's line-up.
Staples is the first act to be announced for the 2014 festival, which will be held from July 25 to July 27. The festival says special guests will honor her birthday and "75 Years of Mavis" throughout the weekend.
Founder George Wein (WEEN') says Monday it's a joy to honor Staples. He says her family's band, The Staple Singers, was one of the first gospel groups to play at Newport and that they have appeared at both the folk and jazz festivals over the years.
The festival was first held in 1959 and has featured influential musicians like Joan Baez, Pete Seeger and Johnny Cash.
Other musical acts will be announced later.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.