ESPN insider: Wildcats can hang with Oregon offensively
Despite being listed as a 23-point underdog going into Saturday night's Pac-12 conference road opener against No. 3 Oregon, at least one college football expert seems to believe Rich Rodriguez and the upstart Arizona Wildcats have a shot if their offense is clicking on all cylinders at Autzen Stadium.
"If you like offense, Oregon and Arizona is going to be the game you want to watch," said ESPN college football analyst Mark May on the Burns & Gambo Show. "Both teams are going to go up-and-down the field like a track meet, because neither has a defense and they just play offense."
Rodriguez has only three games under his belt in Tucson, but the Wildcats appear to have already mastered his up-tempo offensive scheme. In three home wins, Arizona is seventh in the nation in passing (357.7 yards)and 12th in points (46.3) per game.
"I'm just surprised as to what Rich Rodriguez has done in such a short period of time," said May. "You look at the way they are scoring points, and it feels like they are getting more and more confident. This is going to be a great test for them, because everyone believes they are going to get blown out by Oregon. I see it more like a 55-47 or 55-42 game."
Arizona is currently ranked No. 22 in the AP poll and has not won in Oregon since Nov. 2006.
If they are to pull off the upset, the Wildcats will have to contend with Ducks' running back and Heisman hopeful De'Anthony Thomas. On 24 total touches, Thomas has amassed 382 yards and seven touchdowns.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a