ESPN insider: Shame Scott, Rodriguez have only one year together at UA
Just six games into his final season as a Wildcat, Scott has burst on to the national scene, resurrecting both his own career and the Arizona offense.
While Rich Rodriguez's squad is currently mired in a three-game losing streak, and has yet to a win a Pac-12 contest, hopes still remain high for a bowl appearance, largely because of Scott's play.
In Saturday's 54-48 overtime loss at Stanford, the senior passed for a career-high 491 yards to go along with three touchdown passes.
He currently ranks No. 2 in all of the NCAA in passing yards with 2,099 -- over 1,600 yards more than Heisman hopeful Matt Barkley from USC.
His recent rise to stardom has left many to wonder how his collegiate career could have been different if Rodriguez had come to town a little sooner.
Here's what ESPN's Pac-12 blogger Ted Miller had to say following Scott's sensational play against the Cardinal:
It's too bad that Matt Scott and Rich Rod get only one year together: Arizona quarterback Matt Scott is putting up huge numbers this year. He threw for 491 yards and three TDs at Stanford -- completing 45 of 69 throws -- a brilliant performance that nonetheless only earned the Wildcats another excruciating loss. The Wildcats will scare everyone on their schedule because of Scott, who seems like a perfect fit for new coach Rich Rodriguez, even if the primacy of keeping Scott healthy is preventing him from being much of a factor in the running game. But the team will still be challenged to become bowl-eligible due to an overmatched defense.
Up next for Scott and the No. 4 ranked passing offense is a home showdown against previously-ranked Washington next Saturday.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a