Updated Nov 19, 2012 - 7:50 am
Wildcats to wear red helmets Friday against rival ASU
According to the UA football program's Twitter account, Rich Rodriguez's squad will don red helmets for the first time since the 1980 season as part of a university-wide initiative to "Redout" Arizona Stadium.
Back in June, Anthony Gimino of The Tucson Citizen inquired about the use of red helmets, after backup quarterback B.J. Denker tweeted out a picture of one following a summer practice.
Athletic director Greg Byrne apparently was playing it close to the vest:
Greg Byrne says pic of red helmet circulating just a "mock up." Not on radar right now, he says. A matter of time? bit.ly/LdMygS— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) June 4, 2012
The Wildcats have been all about introducing new helmet colors into their home wardrobe. In a 38-35 loss to Oregon State on September 29, UA elected to wear copper helmets for the first time.
Here's a picture of quarterback Matt Scott posing with the red helmet after UA's practice Sunday (Photo by UA Football's Twitter account):
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.