Wildcats to wear red helmets Friday against rival ASU
According to the UA football program's Twitter account, Rich Rodriguez's squad will don red helmets for the first time since the 1980 season as part of a university-wide initiative to "Redout" Arizona Stadium.
Back in June, Anthony Gimino of The Tucson Citizen inquired about the use of red helmets, after backup quarterback B.J. Denker tweeted out a picture of one following a summer practice.
Athletic director Greg Byrne apparently was playing it close to the vest:
Greg Byrne says pic of red helmet circulating just a "mock up." Not on radar right now, he says. A matter of time? bit.ly/LdMygS— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) June 4, 2012
The Wildcats have been all about introducing new helmet colors into their home wardrobe. In a 38-35 loss to Oregon State on September 29, UA elected to wear copper helmets for the first time.
Here's a picture of quarterback Matt Scott posing with the red helmet after UA's practice Sunday (Photo by UA Football's Twitter account):
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a