Updated Nov 19, 2012 - 7:50 am
Wildcats to wear red helmets Friday against rival ASU
According to the UA football program's Twitter account, Rich Rodriguez's squad will don red helmets for the first time since the 1980 season as part of a university-wide initiative to "Redout" Arizona Stadium.
Back in June, Anthony Gimino of The Tucson Citizen inquired about the use of red helmets, after backup quarterback B.J. Denker tweeted out a picture of one following a summer practice.
Athletic director Greg Byrne apparently was playing it close to the vest:
Greg Byrne says pic of red helmet circulating just a "mock up." Not on radar right now, he says. A matter of time? bit.ly/LdMygS— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) June 4, 2012
The Wildcats have been all about introducing new helmet colors into their home wardrobe. In a 38-35 loss to Oregon State on September 29, UA elected to wear copper helmets for the first time.
Here's a picture of quarterback Matt Scott posing with the red helmet after UA's practice Sunday (Photo by UA Football's Twitter account):
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.