Updated Dec 2, 2012 - 4:30 pm
Report: UA lands former USC quarterback Scroggins
While junior college transfer B.J. Denker filled in admirably for the Wildcats in his lone start against Colorado on November 10 -- 12-of-14 passing for 136 yards and two touchdowns -- Rodriguez may have found someone who is familiar with the Pac-12 conference and who will push the junior when the team opens camp in the spring.
Twist to the 2013 QB battle. Word getting around ex-USC QB Jesse Scroggins (a JC transfer) has committed to Arizona. h/t @jasonscheer— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) December 2, 2012
Scroggins, who was ranked as the No. 2 quarterback in the Class of 2010 by ESPN.com, struggled to get on to the field during his brief time at USC.
Despite coming in as a highly-touted mobile quarterback (ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds) out of Lakewood High School, Scroggins redshirted in 2010 and saw little time (took one snap against Washington) backing up Matt Barkley in 2011.
After missing the final six games of the 2011 season due to injury, Scroggins decided to transfer to El Camino College last June.
At El Camino, he threw for 1,148 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games.
If Scroggins suits up for the Wildcats this spring, he will have two remaining years of eligibility.
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.