Nevada, Arizona to face off in New Mexico Bowl
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Two teams that ended their regular-season schedules in disappointing fashion will meet at University Stadium on Dec. 15, when Nevada faces Arizona in the New Mexico Bowl.
Nevada (7-5, 4-4 Mountain West) got off to a 6-1 start to become eligible for a bowl. But an overtime loss to San Diego State sent the Wolf Pack into a 1-4 tailspin to close the season.
Arizona (7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) looked bound for a winning conference record in its first year with Rich Rodriguez at the helm, but the Wildcats lost 41-34 at home to rival Arizona State in their season finale.
"I'm excited for our seniors. This is exciting for our team and fans," Rodriguez said. "We are thrilled to be playing in Albuquerque. We'll take advantage of the extra practice time and start preparing for Nevada."
Both teams feature powerful rushing offenses that rank in the top 15 nationally in yards per game. Both programs also are among the best in the Football Bowl Subdivision in points scored — and among the worst in points allowed.
"Arizona has a fine team overall and a terrific offense," said Nevada coach Chris Ault. "We are excited for this opportunity."
The New Mexico Bowl is sponsored by clothing manufacturer Gildan.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a