Rapper 'Fat Joe' reports to prison in tax case
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Rap star "Fat Joe" has reported to federal prison in Florida to serve a 4-month sentence for tax evasion.
An attorney for the performer, whose real name is Joseph Cartagena (car-ta-GEE'-nah), said his client surrendered Monday at a federal detention center in Miami.
Cartagena pleaded guilty in December 2012 to failing to pay taxes on more than $1 million of income in 2007 and in 2008.
The 42-year-old Miami Beach resident was charged in New Jersey because some of the companies he earns money from are incorporated in the state.
The platinum-selling artist once topped the Billboard charts with the hit "What's Luv."
Attorney Jeffrey Lichtman told The Associated Press that Cartagena was in positive spirits and looking forward to getting released and back to his family before Christmas.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.