SKorean pop star Rain discharged from military
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean pop sensation Rain is out of the military.
Under cloudy skies Wednesday, Rain fired off a crisp salute and thanked a large crowd of mostly media and women who'd gathered to commemorate his discharge after 21 months of mandatory service.
The fans held signs reading in Korean and English: "We waited for you" and "Rain's coming." One Japanese fan said she'd been waiting for more than a day to see the "entertainment soldier."
The 31-year-old served in an army unit that provides TV and radio programming that promotes the military.
Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, has made seven albums and acted in several South Korean and Hollywood films. Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2011.
He hasn't said what his future plans are.
South Korea requires all able-bodied men serve about two to three years in the military, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.