Blockbuster UK goes into administration
LONDON (AP) - The DVD and games rental company Blockbuster has become the latest entertainment firm to go into a form of bankruptcy in Britain, putting nearly 4,200 jobs at risk.
The accounting firm Deloitte said Wednesday it has been appointed as administrator of the company, which has 528 U.K. stores.
"The core of the business is still profitable and we will continue to trade as normal in both retail and rental whilst we seek a buyer for all or parts of the business as a going concern," said Lee Manning, one of the two administrators who are now running the company.
Blockbuster in Britain is a subsidiary of U.S.-based Blockbuster LLC, which itself was reorganized under American bankruptcy laws and then acquired in 2011 by Dish Network Corp. of Colorado.
Blockbuster U.K. is the second British firm in as many days to face administration amid pressure from Internet-based providers of movies and games. British music retailer HMV, the country's last big specialist retailer of recorded music, called in administrators Tuesday after more than 90 years in business.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.