Blockbuster UK goes into administration
LONDON (AP) - The DVD and games rental company Blockbuster has become the latest entertainment firm to go into a form of bankruptcy in Britain, putting nearly 4,200 jobs at risk.
The accounting firm Deloitte said Wednesday it has been appointed as administrator of the company, which has 528 U.K. stores.
"The core of the business is still profitable and we will continue to trade as normal in both retail and rental whilst we seek a buyer for all or parts of the business as a going concern," said Lee Manning, one of the two administrators who are now running the company.
Blockbuster in Britain is a subsidiary of U.S.-based Blockbuster LLC, which itself was reorganized under American bankruptcy laws and then acquired in 2011 by Dish Network Corp. of Colorado.
Blockbuster U.K. is the second British firm in as many days to face administration amid pressure from Internet-based providers of movies and games. British music retailer HMV, the country's last big specialist retailer of recorded music, called in administrators Tuesday after more than 90 years in business.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.