Review: James delivers on 'No Beginning No End'
(AP) - Jose James, "No Beginning No End" (Blue Note)
After a lackluster 2010 U.S. recording debut, Jose James has returned with the self-financed and co-produced "No Beginning No End." The album, eventually released by Blue Note, spotlights his songwriting skills and a unique musical persona that comfortably navigates between neo-soul, R&B, hip-hop and jazz.
James' romantic baritone on the sensual, slow-tempo title track might evoke comparisons with neo-soul singer D'Angelo, but on original tunes like "Trouble," with its funky bass and organ lines and horn blasts, he shows the influence of R&B legends like Marvin Gaye. On "Vanguard," co-written and performed with genre-bending jazz keyboardist Robert Glasper, James shows a modern jazz sensibility as he deftly handles the rhythmic shifts and complex harmonies.
James also teams with R&B singer Emily King on two of her sultry ballads, "Heaven on the Ground" and "Come to My Door," and stretches even further on his collaboration with French-Moroccan singer Hindi Zahra on the North African-spiced "Sword + Gun" as he confidently takes his listeners to unexpected places.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.