Review: Joy Formidable roars again on 'Wolf's Law'
(AP) - The Joy Formidable, "Wolf's Law" (Atlantic)
Two years after The Joy Formidable barreled to the fringe of the rock mainstream with the lush and brute "The Big Roar," the Welsh trio returns with an even bigger and squalling encore. "Wolf's Law" is the arrival of a headliner.
It's a deserved reward. This is wonderfully noisy and hooky, shimmering with guitar-pop accessibility. So what if standouts such as "Maw Maw Song" and the whirlwind "Bats" have the nagging feeling of sounding familiar- maybe a head-bopper from the alt-rock heyday of the `90s or another Brit rocker making massive songs for arenas like touring mates Muse. In the voice and guitar-hammering hands of frontwoman Ritzy Bryan, surprises (usually loud ones) are around every corner.
In the opener "This Ladder is Ours," Bryan begins with an inviting "Let's take this walk/It's long overdue." She isn't kidding. Where was an exciting rocker like this in 2012, and how soon before we can have another?
Follow Paul J. Weber: http://twitter.com/pauljweber.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.