Review: Joy Formidable roars again on 'Wolf's Law'
(AP) - The Joy Formidable, "Wolf's Law" (Atlantic)
Two years after The Joy Formidable barreled to the fringe of the rock mainstream with the lush and brute "The Big Roar," the Welsh trio returns with an even bigger and squalling encore. "Wolf's Law" is the arrival of a headliner.
It's a deserved reward. This is wonderfully noisy and hooky, shimmering with guitar-pop accessibility. So what if standouts such as "Maw Maw Song" and the whirlwind "Bats" have the nagging feeling of sounding familiar- maybe a head-bopper from the alt-rock heyday of the `90s or another Brit rocker making massive songs for arenas like touring mates Muse. In the voice and guitar-hammering hands of frontwoman Ritzy Bryan, surprises (usually loud ones) are around every corner.
In the opener "This Ladder is Ours," Bryan begins with an inviting "Let's take this walk/It's long overdue." She isn't kidding. Where was an exciting rocker like this in 2012, and how soon before we can have another?
Follow Paul J. Weber: http://twitter.com/pauljweber.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.