Review: Houser returns with radio-ready album
(AP) - Randy Houser, "How Country Feels" (Stoney Creek)
There's little coincidence that Randy Houser's new album, "How Country Feels," arrives just as the title track reaches No. 1 on the country radio charts.
The Mississippi singer earned his first chart-topper with the initial single from his most radio-friendly album. Stuffed with country soul-inflected mid-tempo arrangements that highlight Houser's rich voice, there's likely a few more hits among its 15 tracks.
He's sanded away much of the grit that marked his previous work and deploys a more traditional country sound on songs like "The Singer," "Power of a Song" and "Like a Cowboy" that shows off his vocal versatility and a willingness to explore.
Just when it starts to feel like there's a little too much varnish, Houser closes the album with "Route 3 Box 250 D." It's easily his most powerful song, and one we hope gets played on the radio, too.
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.