Review: Houser returns with radio-ready album
(AP) - Randy Houser, "How Country Feels" (Stoney Creek)
There's little coincidence that Randy Houser's new album, "How Country Feels," arrives just as the title track reaches No. 1 on the country radio charts.
The Mississippi singer earned his first chart-topper with the initial single from his most radio-friendly album. Stuffed with country soul-inflected mid-tempo arrangements that highlight Houser's rich voice, there's likely a few more hits among its 15 tracks.
He's sanded away much of the grit that marked his previous work and deploys a more traditional country sound on songs like "The Singer," "Power of a Song" and "Like a Cowboy" that shows off his vocal versatility and a willingness to explore.
Just when it starts to feel like there's a little too much varnish, Houser closes the album with "Route 3 Box 250 D." It's easily his most powerful song, and one we hope gets played on the radio, too.
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?