Kristofferson salutes Nelson with new award
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson don't get together as much as they'd like. When they do, something amazing usually happens.
This time Kristofferson awarded Nelson with the first Kris Kristofferson Award, the Nashville Songwriters Association International's new lifetime achievement award. Then the two played together Sunday night at The Bluebird Cafe.
"I really thought I was there giving you an award," Nelson joked with Kristofferson afterward during an interview on Nelson's bus. "I had a great speech. Next time."
The pair teamed on hits like "Crazy" and "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" as Jamey Johnson looked on from a corner and producer Fred Foster watched from a stage-side table during an invitation-only gathering at the venue known as a songwriter's showcase.
The 76-year-old Kristofferson joked he was embarrassed the NSAI named the award after him. He's a founding member of the songwriter's organization and like the 79-year-old Nelson a member of its hall of fame.
"If I had seen what's happening right now before right now I would've thought I was dreaming because when I came to Nashville, Nashville was the most exciting place for a creative artist to be," Kristofferson told the crowd. "And the people I hung around with were serious songwriters who were totally unselfish, and their hero and my hero was a guy that nobody else knew. It was Willie Nelson. He's unlike anybody else."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.