Ka'Deem Carey in trouble again, faces code of conduct violation
Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey was removed from Thursday's basketball game against UCLA in McKale Center after a verbal confrontation with event staff and police, according to a campus police report.
The incident comes on the heels of earlier legal troubles for Carey, regarding a domestic violence incident with his ex-girlfriend in December.
Carey, an All-American running back for the UA in 2012 and the nation's leading rusher, was removed from Thursday's basketball game due to a "lack of cooperation" with UA event staff.
He and his cousin, Hakeem Adams-Johnson, were "double seated and sitting on the backs of the chairs." Frank Duarte, a UA Athletics event staff member, initially asked Adams-Johnson and Carey to leave, according to the report.
Duarte asked them to move on "four occasions." After Carey ignored him, a University of Arizona Police Department officer asked Carey to move and he complied.
Carey told the officer they were sitting in that area because "they couldn't find their seats."
When the officer asked both of them for their tickets, Carey responded, "Get the **** out of my face." He then asked, "Do you know who I am? I'm an All-American."
The officer asked Carey and Adams-Johnson to accompany him outside. They agreed, but Carey approached the officer, asking what the problem was. He said that the pair did not actually have tickets, but were having problems getting them, according to the report.
Carey then "got close" to the officer, who told Carey to "back off." When Carey did not comply, the officer spoke in "a louder voice" and Carey took several steps back, according to the report.
A background check did not return any warrants out for either man.
The officer told both that they would have to leave the game area. Adams-Johnson is not a UA student. Carey was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.
Earlier this month, Carey pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct charges. He is set to return to court on Feb. 6 for a pre-trial hearing.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a