Journey, Rascal Flatts team up for CMT Crossroads
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Even before Journey and Rascal Flatts got on stage together for CMT's Crossroads concert Super Bowl weekend, they were already in perfect harmony.
In an interview the day before the show, the bands joked around together, finished each other's sentences, hoped for a San Francisco 49ers victory, and talked about an as-yet unannounced plan to perform some dates together this summer.
"It has been fun," Rascal Flatts' Jay DeMarcus said Friday, a day before the band's Saturday concert. "We've got mutual respect for each other and also love all the music equally. So, when you get a bunch of creative people in a room that love what each other is about and what they do, it's very easy to get along."
Although CMT Crossroads is known for pairing acts of different strokes, the union between Rascal Flatts and Journey started more organically than most. They performed together on the CMT Awards last summer in Nashville.
"Last time we were in Nashville too, (Flatts guitarist) Joe Don (Rooney) came down here and he came on stage with us and ripped it up, so we've been sort of talking ever since then," Journey founder Neal Schon said. "It's like a natural progression."
So when someone proposed a Crossroads concert, Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain said, "There's only one band that comes to my mind, and it is Rascal Flatts. Gary (LeVox) can really get it, and that's the biggest part of it, is like, can you reproduce the sound? Plus, I love their songs."
The bands belted out each other's hits Saturday night; their rendition of "Don't Stop Believin'" could be heard on the streets of downtown New Orleans.
"It's really just a dream come true," said LeVox, Rascal Flatts' lead singer. "You really have to pinch yourself because you can't believe that you're singing `Don't Stop Believin" and all of the amazing Journey songs that have just been a piece of American music."
The groups said they plan to do some shows together for the summer.
Follow Nekesa Mumbi Moody on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/nekesamumbi
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.