Chicago opera faces probe after performer burned
CHICAGO (AP) - A federal agency said Tuesday it is investigating the injury of a fire-blowing stilt-walker who was burned during a dress rehearsal at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
A compliance officer from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has already visited the opera, said spokesman Scott Allen. The agency will interview witnesses, performers and employees to determine exactly how the accident happened and whether any safety regulations were violated.
Wesley Daniel suffered second-degree burns around his mouth during a dress rehearsal Monday for "Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg." Journalists invited to watch the rehearsal said the 24-year-old performer had to swig flammable liquid and spit it onto a torch he was holding. They described him staggering off stage and falling to the floor.
Daniel's father told the Lyric's deputy general director, Drew Landmesser, on Tuesday that although his son's mouth was burned, his throat and lungs are fine, the opera said. Daniel was expected to be discharged from Loyola University Medical Center on Thursday.
"The news from Wesley's dad was that everyone seemed to be doing just fine and was relieved," Landmesser said.
The Lyric said the fire-blowing stunt had been approved by the Chicago Fire Department, but it has now been removed from the production. Landmesser said the opera is cooperating with OSHA.
Daniel was wearing a flameproof costume and mask during the dress rehearsal, Lyric spokeswoman Magda Krance said. A staff member used a fire extinguisher to put out flames onstage, according to witnesses and journalists present.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.