Chicago opera faces probe after performer burned
CHICAGO (AP) - A federal agency said Tuesday it is investigating the injury of a fire-blowing stilt-walker who was burned during a dress rehearsal at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
A compliance officer from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has already visited the opera, said spokesman Scott Allen. The agency will interview witnesses, performers and employees to determine exactly how the accident happened and whether any safety regulations were violated.
Wesley Daniel suffered second-degree burns around his mouth during a dress rehearsal Monday for "Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg." Journalists invited to watch the rehearsal said the 24-year-old performer had to swig flammable liquid and spit it onto a torch he was holding. They described him staggering off stage and falling to the floor.
Daniel's father told the Lyric's deputy general director, Drew Landmesser, on Tuesday that although his son's mouth was burned, his throat and lungs are fine, the opera said. Daniel was expected to be discharged from Loyola University Medical Center on Thursday.
"The news from Wesley's dad was that everyone seemed to be doing just fine and was relieved," Landmesser said.
The Lyric said the fire-blowing stunt had been approved by the Chicago Fire Department, but it has now been removed from the production. Landmesser said the opera is cooperating with OSHA.
Daniel was wearing a flameproof costume and mask during the dress rehearsal, Lyric spokeswoman Magda Krance said. A staff member used a fire extinguisher to put out flames onstage, according to witnesses and journalists present.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.