Review: Eels cheer up on 'Wonderful, Glorious'
(AP) - Eels, "Wonderful, Glorious" (Vagrant Records)
Fans of the Eels will be surprised to know that the band's frontman, Mark "E" Everett, seems to have been lifted from his melancholy- a sentiment that has inspired the band's previous material. Even the title of the Eels' 10th record, "Wonderful, Glorious," oozes optimism. The album's opener exudes funk and sex appeal, thanks to E's unique vocals. The song "Peach Blossom" is melodically interesting, with a pounding, rhythmical drum and angry guitar.
"On the Ropes" does hark back to the indie rockers' original sad sound with lyrics like: "I'm not knocked out, but I'm on the ropes." It's reminiscent of moments on the band's "Electro-Shock Blues" (1998) and "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations" (2005) albums. While "Wonderful, Glorious" is interesting and good, it doesn't match up to the Eels' previous work. We prefer E's tortured soul.
Follow Sian Watson on Twitter: twitter.com/sianwatson
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.