Elton John, Mumford & Sons to pay tribute to Helm
NEW YORK (AP) - Elton John and Mumford & Sons will hit the Grammys stage to pay tribute to Levon Helm.
The Recording Academy announced Wednesday that T Bone Burnett, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes will also perform "The Weight" at Sunday's awards ceremony in Los Angeles.
"Can you think of a song that fits (more)?" said Ken Ehrlich, producer of the Grammy Awards. "Philosophically it fits the moment."
Helm was the drummer and singer for The Band. He died of complications from cancer last year at age 71.
The Band's 1968 debut, "Music From Big Pink," and its follow-up, "The Band," remain landmark albums of the era, and songs such as "The Weight" and "Cripple Creek" have become rock standards. Early on, The Band backed Bob Dylan on his sensational and controversial electric tours of 1965-66 and collaborated with him on the legendary "The Basement Tapes."
Ehrlich said the lineup of performers is a representation of Helm's diverse sound. They'll sing "The Weight" when the show has its in memoriam tribute, which honors musicians who died last year.
"Generationally it's very mixed, and genre-wise it's certainly mixed, and ... that's what (Helm) was all about," Ehrlich said. "He was about old and young, country and pop. He was this incredibly eclectic artist."
The 55th annual Grammy Awards will air live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on CBS.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter at twitter.com/MusicMesfin
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.