Grammy nominee Frank Ocean performs at Levi event
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Frank Ocean is nominated for six awards and will perform at Sunday's Grammys, and he warmed up at an event for a few hundred people Friday night.
The R&B singer-songwriter performed a 30-minute set at the Ace Museum in Los Angeles. He was calm onstage, singing songs like "Pyramid," "Crack Rock," "Sierra Leone" and "Thinkin Bout You," which is nominated for record of the year at the Grammys.
The 25-year-old wore his signature headband while purple lights shined in the background. He bent on his knees as his guitarist jammed on one song.
Ocean is part of the six top acts nominated for six awards at the Grammy Awards. His debut studio album, "channel ORANGE," is nominated for album of the year. He's also up for best new artist.
Ocean performed at an event for Levi celebrating the denim brand's 140 year anniversary of its 501 jeans. He'll compete with acts like fun. and The Black Keys in major categories at the Grammys, to air live from the Staples Center on CBS.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu at http://www.twitter.com/MusicMesfin
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.