Elton John shares Grammy stage with young rockers
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Elton John still fills stadiums worldwide on his own, but he'll share the spotlight with a dozen other musicians at Sunday's Grammy Awards.
The 65-year-old entertainer rehearsed Saturday at Staples Center alongside young Grammy nominees Mumford & Sons, Zac Brown, Ed Sheeran and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes.
John prepared for two performances: a rousing rendition of the Band's "The Weight" that also featured T. Bone Burnett and Mavis Staples, and a duet of Sheeran's single "The A Team."
"The fun of it for me is playing with other people," said John, wearing a navy Adidas tracksuit and his trademark red shades.
He also loves the Band's classic American sound.
"You've got a lot of British people up there playing American music, because that's what we love," he said of the Levon Helm tribute, which John dedicated to "the teachers and students of Sandy Hook Elementary School, whose songs ended too soon."
The Grammy Awards honor all kinds of music, but John said, "It should be more of a potpourri than it is."
"It's a bit ageist," he added.
"You're lucky it's ageist!" joked Grammy Awards executive producer Ken Ehrlich.
"T. Bone and I are the oldest people to play the Grammys," John said. "And we're only 30."
AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen is on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/APSandy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.