Snoop Dogg blazes one during BMI songwriting panel
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Music fans who turned out to BMI's annual pre-Grammy Awards "How I Wrote That Song" discussion got a little more than they expected thanks to Snoop Dogg- a contact high.
The rapper smoked marijuana during Saturday's panel discussion, lighting up a large, Kush-filled blunt on stage at The Roxy. He briefly passed it off to B.o.B before methodically reducing it to ash over a 15-minute period. The panel also included Busta Rhymes and songwriters Luke Laird and Evan Bogart, all of whom abstained- at least on stage.
Fittingly, the conversation eventually turned to Snoop's groundbreaking work on "The Chronic."
Laird recalled growing up at the end of a dirt road 10 miles outside Conneaut Lake, a small town of 700 in rural Pennsylvania. Yet Snoop's work with Dr. Dre still infiltrated his world and that of all the other country kids around him.
"Let me just say, the album everyone was listening to was `The Chronic,'" Laird said, noting how surreal it was to be sitting on stage with Snoop.
With acoustic guitar in hand, he played a bit of his Blake Shelton hit "Hillbilly Bone" in its original form: a rap song. The Nashville-based songwriter had everyone bobbing their heads to the beat.
"Now I feel like more than ever you see these influences crossing genres," Laird said.
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott at http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.