Jay Z's Roc Nation holds court at private mansion
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - If there is a lesson to take away from attending Jay Z's super-exclusive pre-Grammy party, it's simple- don't come late.
Some guests learned the hard way Saturday when they were left on the outside looking in at the palatial mansion where the rapper's annual Roc Nation brunch was held.
Most of the guests were bused to the secret location of the swanky bash- a private gated mansion. But it proved to be so popular that authorities prevented some guests from coming inside after a certain point because of overcrowding concerns.
Those who were lucky enough to make it in were rewarded. Jay Z, dressed in a suit and smoking a cigar, hugged his protégés Rihanna and Rita Ora and mingled with guests inside the stunning estate, which included fountains, a majestic pool, mouthwatering spread, free flowing drinks and a cigar station. Other guests included Will Smith's children Jaden and Willow Smith, Ne-Yo, as well as rappers T.I., J. Cole and Wale.
Jay Z's annual brunch was just one of several events held on the eve of the Grammys. The Recording Academy had its own brunch with Janelle Monae at the Grammy Museum, where the singer performed for an audience that included schoolchildren and Make-A-Wish kids.
And Lorde, Robin Thicke and others performed at a brunch held by Universal Music Group.
Rihanna, Shakira, Timbaland and Haim are some of the musicians managed by Roc Nation.
Jay Z is the most nominated artist at this year's Grammys, with nine. He and wife Beyonce are due to perform at Sunday's show at the Staples Center.
Follow Nekesa Mumbi Moody at twitter.com/NekesaMumbi
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.