'Once' wins best musical theater album Grammy
NEW YORK (AP) - The cast album for "Once" has nabbed a Grammy Award, the latest honor for a show that has already earned a Tony and an Oscar.
The recording from the stage version of the movie won the best musical theater album Sunday, besting the cast albums from "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess," the revival of Stephen Sondheim's "Follies," Disney's "Newsies" and another CD of Gershwin songs from the show "Nice Work If You Can Get It."
The musical starring Steve Kazee and Cristin Milioti is based on the low-budget 2006 film about an unlikely romance between a Czech flower seller and an Irish street musician in Dublin. Made for about $150,000, the original film earned $20 million.
It won the Tony for best musical last year, recouped its $5.5 million investment in less than six months, and triggered a national tour that will launch this summer.
"Never in my life could I have ever dreamed this. Stunned right now," Kazee tweeted Sunday after the Grammy win.
The film and musical feature songs by Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard, including "Falling Slowly," which won an Oscar for best original song in 2007.
In an odd twist, the cast album of the musical won a Grammy but the original songs by Irglova and Hansard, which got Grammy nods in 2008 for best song and best album for a movie, eventually lost.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.