Music Review: Foals shine with 'Holy Fire'
(AP) - Foals, "Holy Fire" (Warner Bros. Records)
One thing you can say about the Foals is that they always mix it up. Their first album, "Antidotes," was loaded with heavy drumbeats, while "Total Life Forever" was more melancholic with beautiful lyrical prowess.
The British band sticks to their wild formula on the new album, "Holy Fire." It opens with "Prelude," a 4-minute long instrumental that blasts into "Inhaler," showcasing a rockier side to the band. There are howling guitars and shouting vocals, courtesy of Yannis Philippakis.
"My Number" is addictive and could have jumped straight from a Talking Heads record. It is funky, uplifting and playful, and the lyrics illustrate optimism: "I feel the love, feel the love."
Melancholia isn't far away though, as the record swings back down with "Bad Habit," which is a soulful lament. "I'm a bad habit, one you cannot shake," sings Philippakis.
Follow Sian Watson on Twitter: twitter.com/sianwatson
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.