Music Review: Foals shine with 'Holy Fire'
(AP) - Foals, "Holy Fire" (Warner Bros. Records)
One thing you can say about the Foals is that they always mix it up. Their first album, "Antidotes," was loaded with heavy drumbeats, while "Total Life Forever" was more melancholic with beautiful lyrical prowess.
The British band sticks to their wild formula on the new album, "Holy Fire." It opens with "Prelude," a 4-minute long instrumental that blasts into "Inhaler," showcasing a rockier side to the band. There are howling guitars and shouting vocals, courtesy of Yannis Philippakis.
"My Number" is addictive and could have jumped straight from a Talking Heads record. It is funky, uplifting and playful, and the lyrics illustrate optimism: "I feel the love, feel the love."
Melancholia isn't far away though, as the record swings back down with "Bad Habit," which is a soulful lament. "I'm a bad habit, one you cannot shake," sings Philippakis.
Follow Sian Watson on Twitter: twitter.com/sianwatson
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.