Music Review: Foals shine with 'Holy Fire'
(AP) - Foals, "Holy Fire" (Warner Bros. Records)
One thing you can say about the Foals is that they always mix it up. Their first album, "Antidotes," was loaded with heavy drumbeats, while "Total Life Forever" was more melancholic with beautiful lyrical prowess.
The British band sticks to their wild formula on the new album, "Holy Fire." It opens with "Prelude," a 4-minute long instrumental that blasts into "Inhaler," showcasing a rockier side to the band. There are howling guitars and shouting vocals, courtesy of Yannis Philippakis.
"My Number" is addictive and could have jumped straight from a Talking Heads record. It is funky, uplifting and playful, and the lyrics illustrate optimism: "I feel the love, feel the love."
Melancholia isn't far away though, as the record swings back down with "Bad Habit," which is a soulful lament. "I'm a bad habit, one you cannot shake," sings Philippakis.
Follow Sian Watson on Twitter: twitter.com/sianwatson
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.