Randy Travis performs at Chris Kyle's memorial
DALLAS (AP) - Country music star Randy Travis has performed at the memorial service for slain ex-Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.
Travis told the thousands gathered at Cowboys Stadium on Monday that he was glad to be there, adding that he never met Kyle, but wished he had.
Travis then began playing his guitar and singing "Whisper My Name," which he said Kyle's wife had told him was a meaningful song for the couple. Travis also sang "Amazing Grace."
Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were shot and killed Feb. 2 at a North Texas gun range.
Travis has had a string of run-ins with the law over the past year. Last month, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in August 2012, when police found him naked after crashing his car.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.