Randy Travis performs at Chris Kyle's memorial
DALLAS (AP) - Country music star Randy Travis has performed at the memorial service for slain ex-Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.
Travis told the thousands gathered at Cowboys Stadium on Monday that he was glad to be there, adding that he never met Kyle, but wished he had.
Travis then began playing his guitar and singing "Whisper My Name," which he said Kyle's wife had told him was a meaningful song for the couple. Travis also sang "Amazing Grace."
Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were shot and killed Feb. 2 at a North Texas gun range.
Travis has had a string of run-ins with the law over the past year. Last month, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in August 2012, when police found him naked after crashing his car.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.