Randy Travis performs at Chris Kyle's memorial
DALLAS (AP) - Country music star Randy Travis has performed at the memorial service for slain ex-Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.
Travis told the thousands gathered at Cowboys Stadium on Monday that he was glad to be there, adding that he never met Kyle, but wished he had.
Travis then began playing his guitar and singing "Whisper My Name," which he said Kyle's wife had told him was a meaningful song for the couple. Travis also sang "Amazing Grace."
Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were shot and killed Feb. 2 at a North Texas gun range.
Travis has had a string of run-ins with the law over the past year. Last month, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in August 2012, when police found him naked after crashing his car.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.