NY school names theater after singer Pete Seeger
BEACON, N.Y. (AP) - The high school in Pete Seeger's upstate New York hometown has named its theater after the 93-year-old folk singer and his wife.
A ceremony held Tuesday night unveiled a bronze plaque outside the theater at Beacon High School in Dutchess County. The plaque identifies the venue as "The Seeger Theatre" and is adorned with an engraving of a banjo, Seeger's signature instrument.
The Poughkeepsie Journal ( http://pojonews.co/V7FBKp) reports that the school board voted in October to name the theater after Seeger and his wife of nearly 70 years, Toshi. The couple has lived in Beacon for decades and the folk singer helps out local students.
After the dedication ceremony, students performed a musical tribute to the couple, including such Seeger classics as "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" and "If I Had a Hammer."
Information from: Poughkeepsie Journal, http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.