Bassist Rick Huxley of Dave Clark Five dies at 72
LONDON (AP) - Bass player Rick Huxley, one of the founding members of the Dave Clark Five, has died. He was 72.
Clark announced Huxley's death Tuesday, saying the news was "devastating."
Huxley played on the band's signature hits from the era when they briefly rivaled the Beatles in popularity. They were part of the British invasion that included the Rolling Stones, The Kinks and other bands.
Their best-known songs included "Bits and Pieces" and "Glad All Over." They enjoyed a large following in the United States after appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, the Sunday night television show that also introduced the Beatles to American audiences.
The band, with a middle-of-the-road pop rock sound, was known for drummer Clark's driving beat and exuberant vocals. But it faded after several years when harder-edged bands such as Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Doors rose to popularity. The Dave Clark Five broke up in 1970 after 12 years together.
They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.
Huxley, who suffered from emphysema, died Monday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.