Review: Carrington's 'Money Jungle' a fresh take
(AP) - Terri Lyne Carrington, "Money Jungle: Provocative In Blue" (Concord Jazz)
Producer Terri Lyne Carrington follows up her Grammy-winning, all-female "The Mosaic Project" by offering a fresh take on the classic trio recording "Money Jungle"- the session released 50 years ago that teamed pianist Duke Ellington, bassist Charles Mingus and drummer Max Roach.
Some of the strongest tracks- such as "Wig Wise," which includes Brazilian rhythms and Mideastern motifs, and Clayton's ballad "Cut Off" that references Ellington's "Solitude"- spotlight the trio of drummer Carrington, pianist Gerald Clayton and bassist Christian McBride. And Carrington enhances "Fleurette Africain" with ex-Ellingtonian trumpeter Clark Terry's scat/spoken-word vocals and "Backward Country Boy Blues" with Nir Felder's earthy slide guitar intro and Lizz Wright's wordless vocals.
The hard-swinging "Money Jungle" includes sound clips on the state of capitalism from Martin Luther King Jr., Bill and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, while the mellow "Rem Blues/Music" has Shea Rose reciting a poem comparing music to a seductive woman and Herbie Hancock quoting Ellington's observations on the clash between jazz creativity and commerce.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.