Soprano Gruberova marks 45 years on stage
VIENNA (AP) - Slovak soprano Edita Gruberova is anything but reticent when it comes to what she wants from her audience.
"If the applause lasts less than 20 minutes, it bothers me," says Gruberova who, at 67, is celebrating the 45th anniversary of her first stage appearance with a concert performance of "La Straniera" on Monday. She describes the event as "a personal gift which I am happy to share with my treasured fans."
Performing with Gruberova in Vincenzo Bellini's opera are tenor Jose Bros, mezzosoprano Sonia Ganassi, and baritone Paolo Gavanelli. The performance will be streamed live from Vienna's ornate Musikverein concert hall.
A Feb. 8 performance must have come close to satisfying the "Queen of Coloratura": the audience feted her for 19 minutes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.