Review: Iceage prove their worth on sophomore CD
(AP) - Iceage, "You're Nothing" (Matador Records)
The second album from the four Danish lads known as Iceage is an even more caustic slab of brooding punk than their blindsiding first record. "You're Nothing" rails against excess, manufactured pressure and the general decimation of morality.
Alternating between urgent calls to act ("Coalition") and a bruised motivation ("Wounded Hearts"), these songs devolve and instruments claw for space, fueling the unbridled frenzy. On the raging "Burning Hand," Elias Bender Ronnenfelt loses his throat asking pointed rhetorical questions with such aplomb. It's like he's in on a good joke. The chorus of "Rodfaestet"- sung in their native tongue- is as close as they get to sing-along territory.
A few moments jump out: The immediate pummel of the percussion that opens "It Might Hit First," the reflective intervals ("In Haze") reminiscent of debut standout "Remember" and the unhinged repeating of the title that closes out the album.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.