Review: Iceage prove their worth on sophomore CD
(AP) - Iceage, "You're Nothing" (Matador Records)
The second album from the four Danish lads known as Iceage is an even more caustic slab of brooding punk than their blindsiding first record. "You're Nothing" rails against excess, manufactured pressure and the general decimation of morality.
Alternating between urgent calls to act ("Coalition") and a bruised motivation ("Wounded Hearts"), these songs devolve and instruments claw for space, fueling the unbridled frenzy. On the raging "Burning Hand," Elias Bender Ronnenfelt loses his throat asking pointed rhetorical questions with such aplomb. It's like he's in on a good joke. The chorus of "Rodfaestet"- sung in their native tongue- is as close as they get to sing-along territory.
A few moments jump out: The immediate pummel of the percussion that opens "It Might Hit First," the reflective intervals ("In Haze") reminiscent of debut standout "Remember" and the unhinged repeating of the title that closes out the album.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.