Review: Jamie Lidell revs up the funk on new album
(AP) - Jamie Lidell, "Jamie Lidell" (Warp Records)
British-born Jamie Lidell may have relocated to Nashville, Tenn., but his new album is anything but country.
His fifth full-length release- self-produced in his home studio- is an 11-track homage to the funkadelic days of 1970s and 1980s disco pop. Think Cameo and The Gap Band.
"I'm Selfish" is bouncy with vocals resembling Prince and additional synth, while "What a Shame" enters dubstep territory with its booming beat and catchy chorus.
The tune "why-ya-why," with its happy trumpets and uneven beats, oddly turns into a Skream & Benga effort halfway through. It's a heavily produced sonic assault- and that's not necessarily a good thing.
The album has loads going on, and at times you're almost begging for a timeout. Thankfully there's "Don't You Love Me," a mellowish, D'Angelo-esque love song, and it saves the day.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.