Stevie Wonder says UN Day Concert to be on TV
ATLANTA (AP) - Stevie Wonder says a concert devoted to peace is going from the stage to television.
"Stevie Wonder With Friends: Celebrating a Message of Peace" will premiere Saturday on Centric at 9 p.m. EST. The musical celebration took place at the General Assembly Hall at United Nations Headquarters in New York last October.
"It was a great night," said Wonder, who hosted the concert. "People not only sang about it but their spirits were committed to see peace. In this society we are living in, there's a need for peace for all nations throughout the world."
The 90-minute concert celebrated the 67th anniversary of the UN's peacekeeping and crisis management efforts around the globe.
Performers included Wonder, Sting, Janelle Monae, Wyclef Jean and Elle Varner.
"Peace is something we can't just talk about, we got to be about it," the 62-year-old singer said. "The way people participated on that night showed their commitment. I was very, very happy."
Wonder hopes the televised event will encourage others to take part in the next concert.
"The call for peace is something we should take seriously," he said. "I think we need a peace day every day."
The concert will also air March 3 on BET at 11 a.m. EST.
Follow Jonathan Landrum Jr. on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MrLandrum31
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.