Review: The Mavericks gallop back onto the scene
(AP) - The Mavericks, "In Time" (Valory)
One of country music's most enduring bands, the Mavericks return with "In Time," their first new album in a decade. Their mix of Latin horns and rhythms, crisp telecaster leads and the Roy Orbison-like voice of Raul Malo remains as engaging as ever.
In the 1990s, the Mavericks drew attention with an incendiary live show that had fans jumping like no other Nashville act. That uplifting live sound is the focus of "In Time," which transcends genres by creating a timeless blend rooted in country music and early rock `n' roll.
Malo brings operatic drama to a voice that can soar with power or caress with romanticism. Original drummer Paul Deakin and bassist Robert Reynolds expertly handle grooves that perfectly set up guitarist Eddie Perez, keyboardist Jerry Dale McFadden and a smoking horn section. "In Time" is a welcome reminder of why the Mavericks have always been so special.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.