Review: The Mavericks gallop back onto the scene
(AP) - The Mavericks, "In Time" (Valory)
One of country music's most enduring bands, the Mavericks return with "In Time," their first new album in a decade. Their mix of Latin horns and rhythms, crisp telecaster leads and the Roy Orbison-like voice of Raul Malo remains as engaging as ever.
In the 1990s, the Mavericks drew attention with an incendiary live show that had fans jumping like no other Nashville act. That uplifting live sound is the focus of "In Time," which transcends genres by creating a timeless blend rooted in country music and early rock `n' roll.
Malo brings operatic drama to a voice that can soar with power or caress with romanticism. Original drummer Paul Deakin and bassist Robert Reynolds expertly handle grooves that perfectly set up guitarist Eddie Perez, keyboardist Jerry Dale McFadden and a smoking horn section. "In Time" is a welcome reminder of why the Mavericks have always been so special.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.