Review: Bolton's Motown tribute CD a bit of a bore
(AP) - Michael Bolton, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough: A Tribute to Hitsville U.S.A." (Montaigne Records)
In his nearly four decade career, Michael Bolton has released some two dozen albums and has tackled various musical genres, always keeping a soft spot for classics and Motown tunes. He's covered everyone from Frank Sinatra to Glenn Miller to Etta James to Sting, but his strongest remakes have always been the unusual collaborations that put a different spin on a song, or added another dimension to an overly familiar hit.
His new 10-track Motown tribute album, however, seems to copy and paste original orchestrations in a less than stellar manner. It includes Marvin Gaye's done-to-death "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," which gets a boring and barely heard assist from Kelly Rowland, The Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On" and Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)."
Fans of the easy listening genre will enjoy Bolton's warm voice and correct versions, but it ultimately feels like an exercise in unoriginality that lacks the igniting sparks.
Follow Cristina Jaleru on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cristinelle7
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.