Review: Brecker blossoms on King-Taylor tribute
(AP) - Amanda Brecker, "Blossom" (Decca)
This collection of James Taylor and Carole King songs marks Amanda Brecker's U.S. recording debut, but the singer has a rich musical pedigree. She's the daughter of noted jazz trumpeter Randy Brecker and Brazilian singer-pianist Eliane Elias, and has performed with her mother since she was 8.
Her background gives her the confidence to perform classic songs like "So Far Away," "Something In the Way He Moves" and "Sweet Baby James" in a relaxed, respectful manner- with a few jazzy embellishments- that caresses the lyrics without over-the-top vocal displays.
Producer Jesse Harris brought in several King-Taylor collaborators such as bassist Lee Sklar and drummer Russ Kunkel, whose tasteful accompaniment enhances but never overwhelms the vocals. Brecker gives her most impassioned performance on "You've Got A Friend," tastefully backed only by jazz pianist Larry Goldings, a frequent Taylor partner.
The only original "You Were Mine" hints at Brecker's songwriting talent. While "Blossom" showcases her vocal talents, her next album hopefully will reveal more of her musical personality.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.