Poland philharmonic employee charged in killings
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - An employee of a philharmonic in western Poland was charged with murder in the double homicide of a young female harpist and a security guard inside the orchestra's building, prosecutors said Monday.
The two victims were found dead Friday morning in the building of the Lower Silesia Philharmonic in Jelenia Gora. The 60-year-old guard was found on the ground floor near the entrance and the harpist, 27, was found on the first floor.
A 29-year-old suspect, identified only as Michal M., has been questioned and charged with murder, prosecutors' spokeswoman Violetta Niziolek said. He has been put under arrest for three months, pending further investigation. Niziolek said he partly confessed to the charges concerning the death of the guard, but was saying he did not remember anything concerning the harpist.
An autopsy showed the harpist was strangled and the guard died of head wounds. Niziolek refused to provide any other details.
The head of the philharmonic, Zuzanna Dziedzic, told TVN24 the suspect was a stagehand there and a "nice, polite man" who readily carried out his duties. He helped arrange the stage and was on good terms with the entire team.
"He was a normal man," Dziedzic said. "Nothing suggested that something like this could happen."
She said that on Thursday evening there was a concert and the hall was full. Everybody had left by 10 p.m. except the guard.
"I left toward the end of the concert, saying `goodnight' to Pawel," the guard, she said. "That was all."
Dziedzic said she had never met the harpist, who arrived on Wednesday and took part in two rehearsals for a concert planned Friday.
"I have no hypotheses, I still can't believe this happened," she said.
The philharmonic orchestra will play Mozart's Requiem for the victims on March 22.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.