Review: Milk Carton Kids raise voices in harmony
(AP) - Milk Carton Kids, "The Ash and Clay" (ANTI)
The singer-guitarists Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan form the duo Milk Carton Kids- a name that conjures up a brash and rowdy hardcore band.
Instead, these two dulcet-voiced Californians hail from quite a different quadrant of the musical galaxy. On their third album, "The Ash & Clay," they play a music that is reminiscent of The Everly Brothers' close vocal harmonies, supported by some fine guitar picking that recalls some of Appalachia's finest instrumentalists.
Their sound is old-timey, but the songwriting can be quite modern. The title track laments the present state of America and what's been lost- not in a bitter or brooding way, but with the same yearning nostalgia that flows through every one of their songs.
The song begins with the doleful lines, "Swing sets are empty like dirt turned the dark of the night/The center of this town used to whirl in the glow of the twilight."
Yet there is certainly a palpable hope through these songs. The album's finest track, "The Promised Land," perfectly combines the two sentiments: mourning what's been lost, while aspiring for a brighter future.
Follow James H. Collins: http://twitter.com/JimColinsAP.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.