Review: Milk Carton Kids raise voices in harmony
(AP) - Milk Carton Kids, "The Ash and Clay" (ANTI)
The singer-guitarists Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan form the duo Milk Carton Kids- a name that conjures up a brash and rowdy hardcore band.
Instead, these two dulcet-voiced Californians hail from quite a different quadrant of the musical galaxy. On their third album, "The Ash & Clay," they play a music that is reminiscent of The Everly Brothers' close vocal harmonies, supported by some fine guitar picking that recalls some of Appalachia's finest instrumentalists.
Their sound is old-timey, but the songwriting can be quite modern. The title track laments the present state of America and what's been lost- not in a bitter or brooding way, but with the same yearning nostalgia that flows through every one of their songs.
The song begins with the doleful lines, "Swing sets are empty like dirt turned the dark of the night/The center of this town used to whirl in the glow of the twilight."
Yet there is certainly a palpable hope through these songs. The album's finest track, "The Promised Land," perfectly combines the two sentiments: mourning what's been lost, while aspiring for a brighter future.
Follow James H. Collins: http://twitter.com/JimColinsAP.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.